Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Uniforms,School Children, Mad Dogs and Boa Constrictors







We are settling into a seemingly predictable schedule yet inevitably with unpredictable results. TJ appears to be enjoying 1st Form at Corozal Community College but he would rather die than admit it to me. After all........he was supposed to be home schooled but his mother deviously changed her mind and enrolled him in local school! Lack of qualification was my plea. None the less...........he looks handsome in his new uniform with the green epaulettes.
The highlight of my day is the afternoons when I volunteer at St. Paul's by the Sea Anglican Primary School. There are currently 180 students in the school that is connected to the church by a common courtyard. The backdrop is the amazing view of Corozal Bay which is a continuation of the Caribbean Sea, punctuated by palms. I love it when I get to engage the class in conversation especially when I read to them but mostly I work one on one.
This morning I drove to the market instead of walking with my backpack as I had planned on buying fresh chicken. Everything has to be orchestrated in a different key here rather than at home. Food preparation takes more effort and time as space and supply offers. I had just enough time to get my errands done before I walked to school after lunch. After crossing the busy highway that leads to Mexico, a large,vicious, black dog appears out of nowhere and attempts to attack me. The dog is going for my face and all I can think about is getting away. I manage to run to the parallel lane where the dog corners me. As I am screaming, I look for help at the house I am next to but the lady walks away from the open doorway. My heart beating through my mouth, I feel so lucky that I am unscathed and intact and run home as fast as I can. Andy and I decide to drive to where the incident took place only to find the dog chained in the yard of that very same house! The owner admits his wife saw the dog trying to attack me and agrees to Andy's request to keep the dog on a chain. Yikes! My daily walk to school now must include a detour for safety. Thoughts of a black dog baring his teeth are soothed after spending time with the children. I took these photos today to share with everyone.
Yesterday morning as Andy and I went for a walk, I noticed a large snake dead in our driveway. I reasoned that the snake must have been poisonous as it had a geometric pattern of diamonds on it's skin. When Marco arrived that morning, instead of asking him cooking or food questions, I ask him if he can identify the snake for me. My reaction to his response that it was a Boa Constrictor initially makes me laugh nervously. We reason that Andy must have killed the snake when he drove over it taking TJ to school. What a hero! Now I refuse to walk through long grass!!

No comments:

Post a Comment