Pages

Saturday, April 17, 2010

Leaving Belize

Our time in Belize has come to an end. We are in Cancun presently and will have one day of leisure tomorrow before we fly to Barbados on Thursday April 22nd. It was by a funny coincidence that we realized the Bishop of Belize will be flying on the same plane as us and hopefully we will have a chance to get together.

The memories of the welcoming kindness we have received has been truly overwhelming. I could never have imagined living in a community that included 180 students acknowledging my existence everyday and calling out Miss Sandy with such excitement each time I would walk to the market, take a swim or even walk along the highway. Children would hang out of windows,run out of their backyards, yell from the other side of the road or even yell out of a car window......all going out of their way to say hello. One day while we were walking across the road after taking a swim, a bus stopped on the highway to let out passengers and children yelled "Father Andrew, Miss Sandy". We could not help but laugh as it was impossible to be anonymous anywhere in Corozal. Andy jokingly asked.........where do they come from? The highlight of my time here was definitely being with the children. Here are some other memories I would like to share.

Artist Walter Castillo moved to Belize from Nicaragua. He custom painted all our favourite places on Caye Caulker including our blue house. He painted Andy playing a guitar in the front of the house, TJ jumping into the water and James snorkelling. In the painting, I am standing beside Andy.
Graham Sampson moved to Belize from the UK 40 years ago and was an educator in the schools before retirement. He is not really retired though as he is never still. He is a huge asset to the church as a layman. His knowledge and kindess was appreciated.
I think this will have to be rebuilt!
Cecile from the Diocese Office in Belize City takes us out for lunch. Yummy red snapper!
Belize City Harbour
On a Roll Bus takes students to and from Corozal Community College.
Andy plays the guitar in our home.
A Cluster of Apple Bananas in our backyard.
The Diocese Guest House where we stay when we overnight in Belize City.
Corozal Town Hall.
Belizean Rum, quality Canadian history
Caye Caulker Airport Strip!
Buying a produce from Irene for the last time in Belize City. Her stall is just before the Swing Bridge in a very colorful area of the city.
Our little blue house on stilts nestled in the tropical almond trees in Caye Caulker. Our front yard is sand and all the roads on the Island as made of sand as well.
After months of taking children's photos, they want to take one of me!
Our farewell Party the Lady's Guild hosted at our house. They brought enough food for two days!
At the end of our sailing/snorkelling day to the Barrier Reef with Patrick and Jacob our Captain and Mate.
Easter Sunday. The flowers were picked outdoors by parishioners.
Everyday is Market Day. One of my favourite vendors.
I was the one who got a million times more happiness by giving the candy. The children live five houses away but until this day, had yet to meet.
Marco has been incredibly kind to us. We have lost count of the amount of time he has come to our rescue either by fixing something or giving the best advice.
TJ and I enjoying a warm evening next to our house. Well actually every night was warm.
Principal Mrs Rogers presenting us with gifts.
Our Last School Church Service.

3 comments:

  1. Wow Sandy, so interesting, I can't wait to Skype you and ask you questions about your interesting experiences! Speak soon, have fun in Barbados, I'm jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that great closing summary of a remarkable few months. If you happen to be talking with the Bishop again would you please tell him I would REALLY like him to get in touch with me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello!
    What a pleasant set of photos!
    I wanted to ask you for a favor.
    Walter Castillo is a very dear friend of mine.
    I cannot find him as I don't have his phone number or even email.
    If you could kindly let him know I am looking for him, I would be absolutely delighted, and he would be very happy too.
    Thank you. From the bottom of my heart, I hope you can still get in touch with him.
    Tell him I am Russian, From Portugal. He would know straight away. :-)
    Thank you. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete